This is an image I took in March but have only just got round to processing. (Click to enlarge)
Here’s a classic object for this time of year, the ghostly Owl Nebula, in a false-colour image taken through H alpha and OIII filters.
It’s the time of year for solar observing again, and there was a nice active disk yesterday in both H alpha and white light.
Here’s an image taken by the method I’ve been using for a couple of years now, using the DMK 41 camera in combination with the Lunt LS60 double-stacked to take an image in two parts and stitch it together. On this occasion I used DoubleTake for the Mac to do the stitching and balancing, and it does a good job.
Taken in mid-afternoon in warm conditions (27C), seeing was poor. (Click to enlarge)
This is an LRGB image with the L from a light pollution filter, but it is rather undersaturated as the data is dominated by the luminance; true RGB from such a light-polluted environment as I work in is probably impossible. It was taken over three nights.
Processing was with Deep Sky Stacker and Photoshop (with Gradient XTerminator & Neat Image plug-ins playing a role).
The slight non-roundness on the star images is probably due to chip non-orthogonality, which needs fixing. (Click to enlarge)
The seeing looked steady visually on this occasion, but on-screen it was rippling very fast at a small scale (not surprising for 27º altitude). Three sequences of RGB were captured, and all combined for a 14 minute run, interspersed with IR captures. This is the first image I have produced using the PierroAstro dispersion corrector in the imaging train.
Tonight I finally obtained an image of C/2011 L4 (PanSTARRS), after all these cloudy evenings. There was a gap in the cloud for about 30 minutes which I exploited. The comet is going behind a nearby fir tree during the course of the exposures, obscuring the frame on the right hand side.
Slightly later I observed it visually from an upstairs window using 10×50 binoculars, but it was only just visible in those, looking much fainter and more diffuse than when I last saw it on March 14. (Click to enlarge)
I went a bit mad with imaging the Moon on this night, doing it with three different cameras and telescopes. So I did my usual whole Moon with the 80mm refractor, but I also made this redundant by taking a much larger whole Moon image with the 100mm f9 which is mounted with my C-14, in IR with DMK41 camera at 15fps. This can be zoomed in to examine parts of it in detail; it won’t fit on a monitor at full size (second image down, click twice). It has been so successful I will certainly use this combination again. Finally I imaged Copernicus with C-14, Flea 3 and 3x Barlow, the same arrangement as I use for Jupiter.